Settling on the perfect anti-aging serum does take time considering the number of products in the market. Comparing super brands like Obagi vs. SkinCeuticals vitamin C are one of the tasks I performed when searching for the best serum to use.
I love my job as a lifeguard, I get to work on the beach of all places, and I get to effortlessly work on my tan-which in retrospect I may have overindulged. So there I was, 27 years of age with uneven toned sun damaged skin and I was devastated. I started trying different vitamin c serums in the market, and that’s when I happily settled on the two brands as mentioned above. This Obagi vs. SkinCeuticals vitamin C comparison review will highlight why these two products stand out.
Here are some differences between Obagi and SkinCeuticals vitamin C
SkinCeuticals Vitamin C
Percentage of vitamin C
5%, 10% and 20%
Vitamin E and signal lock complex extracts from artichoke leaves
Vitamin E and Ferulic acid
Obagi vs. SkinCeuticals vitamin C- How do the two compare?
Obagi vitamin C is made up of vitamin E and signal lock complex extracts from artichoke leaves. This blend works to heal and hydrate the skin leaving it nourished and protected throughout the day. SkinCeuticals vitamin C, in contrast, contains vitamin E and Ferulic acid which neutralizes free radicals and increases absorption and potency of the serum respectively.
The trick to avoiding skin irritation is to find a serum with the perfect pH level. It can’t be too alkaline or acidic. Obagi C has a pH level of 3.5 while SkinCeuticals vitamin C has a pH level of 2.5. A lower pH signifies higher vitamin C concentration which ultimately promotes collagen production that results in healthier looking skin.
The Obagi C, however, comes in different vitamin C concentrations with C20 being the highest and strongest, which is beneficial when you want to break into using vitamin C serums slowly.
Both these products are oil-free and non-comedogenic which goes a long way in protecting you from pesky breakouts. It brightens dark and sun spots, smooths wrinkles and fine lines and does wonders in giving you a more natural youthful look. These serums have antioxidant properties that neutralize free radicals which are responsible for premature aging.
Regular and continuous use of these products visibly improve the elasticity of your skin.
Obagi vs. SkinCeuticals comparison review
- CONCENTRATED VITAMIN C ANTIOXIDANT SERUM RECOMMENDED for dry or sensitive skin. Obagi...
- KEY BENEFITS: L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) helps fortify the skin defenses against environmental...
- l-ABSORBIC ACID is effective in reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and photoaging...
- WHY VITAMIN C Proactively fortifies the skin defenses against environmental assaults....
- DAILY USE OF VITAMIN C Proactively fortifies the skin defenses against environmental assaults....
Think of sweet-smelling oranges in a cute bottle. The Obagi vitamin C serum has the perfect balance of antioxidant ingredients that revitalizes the elasticity of your skin naturally turning back the clock. Its lightweight properties allow it to be layered under sunscreen offering double protection from sun damage. The Obagi C product series offers varying concentrations of vitamin C enabling the user to enjoy high or low quantities depending on skin concerns.
• The serum is hydrating and has a sweet citrusy scent
• It is instrumental in eliminating wrinkles when used on a regular basis
• Its vitamin C component heals and protects the skin from sun damage
• It tends to feel oily during application
SkinCeuticals vitamin C
- Pro Size Bottle - 55 ml- Best Deal! An ultra-powerful antioxidant serum for all skin types.
- Neutralizes free radicals, shields against UV damage and enhances collagen production. This...
- Conditions and brightens the complexion for improved beauty.
- This exceptional formulation is perfect for protecting all skin types, excluding highly...
Why look older than you feel? This product is a collagen production powerhouse that works to visibly smooth out wrinkles and fine lines. Its pure vitamin C corrects and protects your skin leaving you looking younger and radiant making it ideal for sunny days. Its accompanying vitamin E and Ferulic acid ingredients help to trap moisture and effectively absorb vitamin C resulting in smooth wrinkle-free skin. The SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum is an ideal product to incorporate into your morning skincare routine.
• It’s potent enough, so you only need a few drops making it cost effective
• It’s the perfect blend of antioxidants and vitamins make it the number one choice for evening skin tone and minimizing wrinkles.
• The Ferulic acid allows it to be absorbed quickly into the skin boosting the potency and effects of the serum
• It’s only available in a 1-ounce bottles
Though SkinCeuticals vitamin C uses a patented formula that is proven to visibly reduce aging, I still highly recommend Obagi C serum. Its lightweight properties make it compatible with other products and perfect for temperamental skin making it a good choice for those new to the vitamin C serum regimen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Obagi C20 serum?
The Obagi C series has different concentrations of vitamin C. C20 is the highest concentration and is used to tackle advanced skin issues. It is preferable that you start with the lowest concentration (C5) and move upwards once your skin has acclimated.
How do I use vitamin C serums?
Vitamin C serums are used after cleansing and or toning. Once this is done, dry the area and apply 3-4 drops on your hand and rub it onto the desired area. You can then proceed to apply your makeup or sunscreen and seize the day.
I have sensitive skin, can I use vitamin C serum?
Yes, just be sure to check the pH levels indicated on the bottle and make sure your brand is not too acidic. In case you start to feel a burning sensation that won’t go away stop using the product immediately.
Are these products oil free?
Yes, both Obagi C and SkinCeuticals vitamin C are oil free. They may feel oily during the application, and this will be due to ingredients that help vitamin C to be readily absorbed in the skin. Once the serum has been absorbed your skin will not feel caked or oily.
Is SkinCeuticals vitamin C alcohol-free?
SkinCeuticals vitamin C is not, and if you have any reservations against using alcohol-based products this may not be the product for you. It is, however, paraben free which is more important since parabens are known to cause cancerous tumors.